These are amounts of ingredients for a baking pan of 23x23x5cm dimensions.
½ kg of sour and sweet apple
2 spoons of sugar
½ tea spoon of cinnamon
1 vanilla sugar
¼ tea spoon lemon zest
A bit of salt
60gr soft butter
3 spoons of flour
2 spoons of oatmeal flakes (old fashioned oats)
2 spoons of sugar (it would be good if you could use brown sugar because it has a more complex taste)
2 spoons of chopped nuts (optional)
- Turn the oven at 180oC.
- Peel the apples, and cut into dices.
- Put the apples in a bowl and add sugar, cinnamon, half of vanilla sugar, salt and lemon zest. Mix well enough for each piece of apple to be coated with the spices. Put aside.
- Place the flour, salt, oat flakes, sugar and nuts in the other dish, if you have decided to use it, and the butter. Mix it all up. The mixture will look a bit dry, but it is important to be as homogeneous as possible.
- Put the apples in the baking tray, distribute it equally, and put the batter over, trying to arrange it as possible, so it stays on top of the apples. Put the remaining vanilla sugar over the dough.
- Place in the oven and bake for some 25 minutes. The batter should be brown and crunchy. It will smell fantastic.
- When done, serve hot with ice cream. It will not look attractive, as it will not get any shape, but it will taste phenomenal as the most complex apple pie.
TIP: You can decide to use any kind of baking tray you like. There is no wrong measure for the batter or the apples, so it on you to decide what ratio suits you the best.